How long in advance do I need to book?
We encourage guests to book the Spicers Scenic Rim Trail at least 7 days in advance. However, we can take last minute bookings, subject to availability. So if it’s less than 7 days out, please call on 13 77 42 and we will check for you. We’d love you to join us on this guided walk experience.
What level of fitness do I need to participate?
We are exploring a region that was millions of years in the making and where few people have gone before you. Consequently most days we will be walking on some Grade 4 & 5 tracks (Australian Walking Trade Grading Standard) which means tracks are less defined and can be rough and steep in places.
Being off the beaten track is part of the adventure and a good level of fitness is required. The 5-day walk includes 7- 8 hours on trail each day covering a total distance of 60km. You will be walking for 4 days with the arrival day being the first day.
If you haven’t done a multi-day hike before you may wish to start with our 2-day Walk and work your way up to the 5-day.
You’ll arrive every night with a sense of accomplishment, ready for a great meal and a restful sleep!
What do I need to bring?
Packing & Preparation List
- 1 bag per person max weight 12kg. Make sure you label your bag with a name tag. Preferably a duffel bag however a cabin style bag or backpack is also acceptable (no large suitcases), and ideally water resistant. Bag style recommendation.
- Quality rain jacket and rain pants
- Warm jacket e.g. light weight down jacket
- Fleece jumper or similar x 2
- In winter a beanie, gloves, scarf and thermals are recommended
- Breathable walking shirts x 4 plus shirts for evening
- Light weight walking pants x 2 or more plus pants for evening
- Hiking socks x 4 – foot care is important
- Hiking boots that have been worn in but are not too old
- Change of shoes for evening (runners or comfortable shoes)
- Plastic or ‘stuff bag’ for putting shoes or wet items into
- Hanging toiletry bag is useful
- General medicine as approved by your Doctor – Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Voltaren
- Prescribed medicines
- Toiletries – toothpaste and brush, hair brush, deodorant, nail clippers, tweezers, band-aids, lip balm, dental floss, hand sanitiser, razor
- Phone and camera charger
What does Spicers supply?
- Hiking day back pack
- Water bottles 1 x 750ml and 1 x 1.5l, if you prefer a Camelbak style drinking device please feel welcome to bring your own
- Packed morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea while on trail plus trail mix
- Scenic Rim Trail mug for tea & coffee on trail
- Hiking poles (optional to use)
- Gaiters for your legs (optional to wear)
- Sunscreen and aeroguard insect spray
- First Aid Kits including tick removal spray
- Your luggage is transferred for you each day so all you carry is your day pack
- All your bed linen – towels, sheets, face washers each morning we will ask you to place your sheets into a dedicated bag for transportation, when you arrive into your next camp that evening your bed will be ready made with your own sheets
- Bathroom products including shampoo, conditioner, body wash & moisturiser
- All meals with breakfast and dinner being enjoyed at camp each day
- All beverages including wine, beer & select spirits
What do I carry?
The only equipment you will carry is your hiking pack and the essentials you need for the walk that day. Items might include a camera/GoPro, jumper/warm top layer, any personal medications you require, hat and sunglasses, water bottle, and your pre-prepared lunch. Your guides will carry tea and coffee supplies for use on trail.
What style of boots do I need?
It is essential to have good quality, lace-up hiking boots with solid ankle support. They should preferably be waterproof and have a sole with good tread. Boots must be worn-in to minimise the risk of blisters. If you have queries on this please contact our team on 13 7742.
What will the accommodation be like?
Each evening, you will stay in different types of accommodation located along the trail. This includes a mix of eco-cabins, a Spicers Retreat & a modern converted farmhouse. Please click here for full details of accommodation on our five-day walk.
How many guests will be on the walk?
The five-day walk will have a minimum of four guests and a maximum of 12.
Do we hike in wet weather conditions?
Yes. We will still commence the hike in most weather conditions (please bring along your sense of adventure) unless it poses a threat to the safety of our guests. If we cancel a walk we will be in contact with you to reschedule.
Is there an age limit?
We do have an age limit of 15 years and over. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Can I stay at Spicers Balfour Hotel the night before or after my trip?
Yes. We offer a discount for bed and breakfast accommodation at Spicers Balfour Hotel in Brisbane for our Scenic Rim Trail guests, which includes a beautiful gourmet breakfast. Please call our Reservations Team to book on 13 77 42.
Can I stay at another Spicers Retreat after my trip on the Scenic Rim Trail?
Yes, you can! It will be dependent on the availability of each retreat. To enquire about this please call our Reservations Team on 13 77 42.
Where is the meeting point if I self-drive?
The meeting point if you elect to self-drive is Spicers Hidden Vale, located at 617 Grandchester Mount Mort Road, Grandchester, QLD, 4340. It’s approximately a one hour drive from Brisbane. You will be able to park your car here for the duration of your trip. You will be transferred back to to your vehicle at the end of the trip.
Can I book a transfer from Brisbane?
Yes, you can. We can organise a transfer for you from Spicers Balfour Hotel located in New Farm Brisbane or to Brisbane Airport. A quote will be provided at time of request.
What are the booking terms and conditions?
Pricing: All Pricing is subject to availability and may be varied without notice. Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges, current at the time of publication. Full payment is required at the time of booking.
Seasonality: Trail routes and walking season are subject to change.
Guest Numbers: Maximum number of guests per walk is 12. For a walk to go ahead, a minimum of four guests is required. If minimum numbers are not met we will contact you no less and four weeks prior to departure to discuss alternative dates.
Cancellation: Any date changes made to a Scenic Rim Trail booking prior to 91 days before a departure date will not incur any amendment fees. For any booking cancellations made prior to 91 days before a departure date, a full refund will be given. Any date changes or cancellations to a Scenic Rim Trail booking received within 90 days prior to a departure date will incur a 100% amendment/cancellation fee.
CHANGE TO POLICY
Bookings Affected by COVID-19
Should travel restrictions be implemented by the government and travel across borders or intrastate be restricted, any booking cancellations made between 90 days and 7 days prior to a departure date will be given a 12 month travel credit to use toward another walk departure. If a booking cancellation is received within 7 days prior to a departure date, a 100% cancellation fee will apply. We do recommend travel insurance is taken by our guests for all walk departures.
To view our Environmental Protection Biodiversity Conservation Response (EPBC) documentation please click here