When does the 5 Day Walk Depart?
The 5 Day Walk departs once a week on Sundays. Please note, departures are dependent on reaching the minimum number of walkers required to start a trip. The season runs from March to November.
How long in advance do I need to book?
We encourage guests to book the Spicers Scenic Rim Trail at least 7 days in advance. However, we can take last minute bookings, subject to availability. So if it’s less than 7 days out, please call on 13 77 42 and we will check for you. We’d love you to join us on this guided walk experience.
What level of fitness do I need to participate?
We are exploring a region that was millions of years in the making and where few people have gone before you. Consequently most days we will be walking on some Grade 4 & 5 tracks (Australian Walking Trade Grading Standard) which means tracks are less defined and can be rough and steep in places.
Being off the beaten track is part of the adventure and a good level of fitness is required. The 5-day walk includes 4 – 8 hours on trail each day covering a total distance of 48km. You will be walking for 4 days with the arrival day being the first day.
If you haven’t done a multi-day hike before you may wish to start with our 2-day Walk and work your way up to the 5-day.
You’ll arrive every night with a sense of accomplishment, ready for a great meal and a restful sleep!
What do I need to bring?
Packing & Preparation List
- Light rain jacket
- Warm jacket e.g.: light weight down jacket
- Fleece jumper or similar x 2
- In winter a beanie, gloves, scarf & thermal shirt is recommended
- Breathable walking shirts x 4 plus shirts for evening
- Light weight walking pants x 2 or more plus pants for evening
- Hiking socks x 4 – foot care is important
- Hiking boots that have been worn in
- Change of shoes for evening (runners or comfortable shoes)
- Plastic or ‘stuff bag’ for putting shoes or wet items into
- Hanging toiletry bag is useful
- General medicine as approved by your Doctor – Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Voltaren
- Prescribed medicines
- Toiletries – toothpaste & brush, hair brush, deodorant, nail clippers, tweezers, band-aids, lip balm, dental floss, hand sanitiser, razor
- Phone & camera charger
What does Spicers supply?
- Hiking day back pack 24L
- Water bottles 1 x 750ml and 1 x 1.5l, if you prefer a Camelbak style drinking device please feel welcome to bring your own
- Packed morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea while on trail plus trail mix
- Scenic Rim Trail mug for tea & coffee on trail
- Hiking poles (optional to use)
- Gaiters for your legs (optional to wear)
- Sunscreen and aeroguard insect spray
- First Aid Kits including tick removal spray
- Your luggage is transferred for you each day so all you carry is your day pack
- All your bed linen – towels, sheets, face washers each morning we will ask you to place your sheets into a dedicated bag for transportation, when you arrive into your next camp that evening your bed will be ready made with your own sheets
- Bathroom products including Appelles shampoo, conditioner, body wash & moisturiser
- All meals with breakfast and dinner being enjoyed at camp each day
- All beverages including wine, beer, cider, gin, whiskey, vodka plus soft drink & juice
What do I carry?
The only equipment you will carry is your hiking pack and the essentials you need for the walk that day. Items might include a camera/GoPro, jumper/warm top layer, any personal medications you require, hat and sunglasses, water bottle, and your pre-prepared lunch. Your guides will carry tea and coffee supplies for use on trail.
What style of boots do I need?
It is essential to have good quality, lace-up hiking boots with solid ankle support. They should preferably be waterproof and have a sole with good tread. Boots must be worn-in to minimise the risk of blisters. If you have queries on this please contact our team on 13 7742.
What will the accommodation be like?
Each evening, you will stay in different types of accommodation located along the trail. This includes a mix of eco-cabins, a Spicers Retreat & a modern converted farmhouse. Please click here for full details of accommodation on our five-day walk.
How many guests will be on the walk?
The five-day walk will have a minimum of four guests and a maximum of 12.
Do we hike in wet weather conditions?
Yes. We will still commence the hike in most weather conditions (please bring along your sense of adventure) unless it poses a threat to the safety of our guests. If we cancel a walk we will be in contact with you to reschedule.
Is there an age limit?
We do have an age limit of 15 years and over. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Can I stay at Spicers Balfour Hotel the night before or after my trip?
Yes. We offer a discount for bed and breakfast accommodation at Spicers Balfour Hotel in Brisbane for our Scenic Rim Trail guests, which includes a beautiful gourmet breakfast. Please call our Reservations Team to book on 13 77 42.
Can I stay at another Spicers Retreat after my trip on the Scenic Rim Trail?
Yes, you can! It will be dependent on the availability of each retreat. To enquire about this please call our Reservations Team on 13 77 42.
Where is the meeting point if I self-drive?
The meeting point if you elect to self-drive is Spicers Hidden Vale, located at 617 Grandchester Mount Mort Road, Grandchester, QLD, 4340. It’s approximately a one hour drive from Brisbane. You will be able to park your car here for the duration of your trip. You will be transferred back to to your vehicle at the end of the trip.
Can I book a transfer from Brisbane?
Yes, you can. We can organise a transfer for you from Spicers Balfour Hotel located in New Farm Brisbane or to Brisbane Airport, for $150 per person return. Please note airport transfers may incur a higher charge please request a quotation at time of booking.
What are the booking terms and conditions?
Payment: 50% due at the time of booking & the balance is payable 30 days prior to arrival.
Travel Insurance & booking conditions:
There is a minimum of four guests required for the walk to depart. We will advise you a minimum of four weeks prior to departure if the walk has not met minimum numbers to discuss alternate options.
In the circumstance of the booking being cancelled, the following terms and conditions will apply: Between 45 and 31 days (inclusive) prior to the arrival date of this booking, a cancellation fee of 50% will apply. Less than 30 days (inclusive) prior to the arrival date of this booking, any cancellations or changes to the booking, will incur a cancellation fee equal to 100% of the total rate for the booking. Please note: a date change to the booking has the same effect as a cancellation, as of 30 days from day of arrival. Any no-shows or early departures will also be charged for.
It is recommended that you take out Travel Insurance prior to your arrival on the Scenic Rim Trail. Please make yourself familiar with these terms and conditions along with any other relevant travel costs associated with your trip. Spicers recommend using Covermore for travel insurance.
To view our Environmental Protection Biodiversity Conservation Response (EPBC) documentation please click here