What level of fitness do I need?
Preparation is key when planning a multi-day hike. The longer the distance & days the more preparation you need. Here are some tips to help you plan your training.
- You need to be able to walk an avg. 14km a day for multiple days
- You need good aerobic fitness as we are hiking in the mountains
- Comfortable with wearing a back pack with avg. weight of 6kg
- Strong & stable on your feet to navigate rock scrambles & uneven ground
What else can I do to prepare?
- Go hiking in the bush as often as you can
- Add extended walks 12 – 18km to your training program
- Ensure you have the right shoes, not too old and not too new with good grip. The most common issue we see is soles coming off old hiking boots the glue disintegrates overtime.
- If your shoes are new wear them in before you come
- Try hiking poles they help to take weight off your knees
- Build your leg strength and aerobic fitness
- You might like to consider a personal trainer if you want a more structured and supported preparation plan