|1 cup pumpkin diced in 1 cm cubes||3-4 medium fresh shitake or swiss brown mushrooms thinly sliced|
|600 ml coconut milk||250 ml vegetable stock|
|½ tbsp vegetable oil||½ tsp roasted white peppercorns|
|2 medium coriander roots washed and scraped||2-3 roasted small dried chillies, crumbled or whole|
|60- 80 ml lime juice (to taste)||50 ml light soy sauce|
|4-6 slices ginger, thinly sliced||½ cup coriander leaves|
|4-6 red schallots wok charred in their skins||1 tbsp crispy fried garlic garnish|
- In a wok on a low heat slowly char the shallots in their skins till tender to obtain a smokey flavour but not burn. Pop out of their skins.
- In a mortar and pestle, pound the peppercorns and coriander root to a robust paste.
- In a saucepan warm the vegetable oil on a low heat and fry the paste until fragrant and golden.
- Add the pumpkin cubes, stirring in.
- Add the coconut milk and red schallots, ginger, dried chilli and mushroom. Bring to a slow simmer and allow pumpkin to soften.
- Add the light soy sauce and simmer a further 2- 3 mins.
- Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Correct the seasoning with light soy sauce and ladle into a large serving bowl.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and crispy fried garlic and serve.