Geng Gwio Warn Pla – Dan Jarrett (The Tamarind)
Green Curry Paste Ingredients:
|10 white peppercorns||1 tsp coriander seeds|
|½ tsp cumin seeds||½ tsp microplaned nutmeg|
|1 tbs of galangal, peeled and finely sliced||2 tbs lemongrass, finely sliced|
|2 long green chillies, deseeded and sliced||1-2 tbs birds eye chillies sliced|
|2 tbs of coriander root||3 garlic cloves sliced|
|1 tbs of kaffir lime zest||1 tbs grachai, finely chopped|
|1 tsp kapi (shrimp paste)||½ tsp turmeric|
|1 tsp sea salt|
1. In a small pan over medium heat, roast white peppercorns, coriander and cumin to release the fragrance, then grind the spices in a mortar and pestle until smooth.
2. Place the ground spices into a separate bowl with the microplaned nutmeg.
3. Now pound the galangal with a pinch of salt until completely smooth.
4. Continuing this method add one at a time the lemongrass, chilli’s, coriander root, garlic, grachai and lime zest.
5. Finish by adding shrimp paste, turmeric and toasted spices and then set the curry paste aside.
|200g White fish (Snapper or Barramundi)||100ml vegetable oil|
|2 -3 tbs green curry paste||1 large green chilli, sliced lengthways on an angle|
|4 kaffir lime leaves||2 apple eggplants quartered|
|½ cup diced daikon||1/3 cup bamboo shoots sliced|
|500ml coconut milk||3 tbs fish sauce|
|2 tsp palm sugar||½ cup Thai basil leaves|
1.In saucepan, over low heat, fry oil and curry paste until fragrant and the oil is released. Season with fish sauce and palm sugar.
2. Add chilli, lime leaves, eggplant, daikon and fold into paste. Add coconut milk and bring to a slow simmer for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add fish and bamboo slices to curry sauce and cook for approx 4 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
4. Reduce heat, fold through Thai basil leaves and serve.