|large free range chicken|
|3 sprigs of thyme|
|2 cloves of garlic|
|1 lemon zested|
|1 orange zested|
|1 tbls of fine salt|
|3 tbls olive oil|
|2 handfuls of unsprayed hay|
|1 heavy cast iron pot|
1. In a mortar and pestle pound all the ingredients together and rub into the whole chicken.
2. Heat a medium sized fry pan and place the chicken breast side down and cook until golden around 3 minutes, do the same thing on both sides of the chook.
3. Place the hay into the large cast iron pot and sit the chicken on top making a little well so the hay is covering around ¾ of the chicken.
4. Place lid onto the pot and put in the oven on 200 degrees for 2 hours.
5. After the two hours let the chicken rest for 20 mins then carve and eat!